- Covid origin: US spy agencies publish ‘inconclusive’ report
The US intelligence community has been unable to determine the origins of Covid-19, and is split on whether it leaked from a lab or developed in nature, according to a new report. The report issued by the office that oversees the nation’s 18 spy agencies did conclusively determine that it was not developed as a biological weapon.
- Covid: Vaccine complications dwarfed by virus risks
A major review of vaccines suggests the AstraZeneca jab does raise the risk of blood clots and another serious condition that can cause bleeding. But the study found the risk of such problems following a coronavirus infection was still much higher.
- Hurricane Ida: New Orleans braces for possible direct hit
The mayor of New Orleans has called for residents to evacuate unprotected city neighbourhoods as Hurricane Ida bears down on the Louisiana coastline. “Now is the time,” said New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell in a Friday news conference, calling for those living outside the city levee system to flee.
- Unvaccinated US School Teacher Spread Coronavirus To 26 People
Washington: An unvaccinated teacher at an elementary school in California spread the coronavirus to at least 26 other people, including 12 students in their classroom, a new study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said Friday.
- China Still Withholding “Critical Information” On COVID-19 Origins: Joe Biden
President Joe Biden said Friday that China was withholding “critical information” on the origins of Covid-19 after the US intelligence community said it did not believe the virus was a bioweapon — but remained split on whether it escaped from a lab.
- US On Alert For More Kabul Attacks, Says Next Few Days Will Be Most Dangerous
U.S. forces helping to evacuate Afghans desperate to flee Taliban rule were on alert for more attacks on Friday after an ISIS suicide bombing killed at least 92 people, including 13 U.S. service members, just outside Kabul airport.
- US Warship Transits Taiwan Strait After Chinese Assault Drills
A U.S. warship and a U.S. Coast Guard cutter sailed through the Taiwan Strait on Friday, the latest in what Washington calls routine operations through the sensitive waterway that separates Taiwan from China, which claims the self-ruled island.
- Complete Recovery Of Covid Patients May Take Longer Than 1 Year: Study
Around half the people hospitalised with COVID-19 experience at least one persistent symptom up to 12 months after the infection, according to a study published in The Lancet journal on Friday.
- Denmark to lift all remaining Covid restrictions on 10 September
Denmark is to lift all its remaining Covid-19 restrictions by 10 September after the health ministry declared the virus “no longer a critical threat to society” because of the country’s high level of vaccination.
- NSW records worst daily Covid total and apologises for booking blunder as ACT defers lockdown decision
New South Wales has reported another record number of new Covid cases as the state’s ambulance service warned it was being overwhelmed with calls.