- 299 new Covid cases, 6 deaths in state
Karnataka logged 299 fresh Covid-19 cases and six deaths on Tuesday, taking the total number of infections to 29,98,699 and the toll to 38,243.
- December first week logs 27.45% rise in Covid cases across state
Karnataka has witnessed a rise of 27.45% in the seven-day moving average of new Covid-19 cases in the first week of December, according to the state government data.
- Covid clusters: New norms for schools, colleges
Following a spike in the Covid-19 clusters, especially in schools and colleges across the state, a separate set of guidelines will be issued in a couple of days.
- Panel report soon on Omicron treatment & discharge policy
A newly appointed clinical expert committee by the government is likely to submit a report soon on protocols for treatment, discharge of Omicron-infected patients and their Covid positive contacts.
- Don’t close schools, education experts tell Karnataka govt
Primary and secondary education minister BC Nagesh on Tuesday categorically said schools and colleges won’t be shut in the backdrop of increasing Covid-19 clusters and fear of Omicron variant.
- Omicron has two lineages, but experts allay fears
A month after it was first reported by South Africa, Omicron (B.1.1.529), designated as a variant of concern (VOC) by the World Health Organisation (WHO), has split into two lineages — BA.1 and BA.2. However, health experts assure that there is nothing to be scared about the new lineages for now.
- Sensex rebounds 887 pts as Omicron fears recede
The sensex reversed its two-session losing streak with an 887-point surge on Tuesday as fears about the impact of the Omicron variant on the global economy abated and financial stocks led during the day.
- Mixing Pfizer, AZ jabs with other vax gives robust immunity: Lancet study
Following up first doses of the AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccines with second doses of the Moderna or Novavax jabs generates robust immune response against Covid-19, according to a study published in The Lancet journal.
- Omicron cases in SA rise by 5-fold
South Africa’s fourth Covid wave was anticipated and the emergence of the new Omicron variant was inevitable, President Cyril Ramaphosa has said, terming the surge in infections a matter of “great concern”.
- Omicron more contagious than Delta: UK
Early signs indicate that the Omicron variant of Covid-19 is more transmissible than the Delta variant currently dominant in the UK, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson told his Cabinet ministers on Tuesday.