- Karnataka reported 373 new cases, 10 deaths
Karnataka reported 373 new cases of COVID-19 on October 11, taking the total to 29,81,400. Bengaluru Urban reported 146 cases and five deaths. With 10 deaths in Karnataka, the toll rose to 37,895. This is apart from 28 deaths of patients due to non-COVID-19 reasons.
- First curbs, now rising fuel prices dent transport sector
With the price of motor fuels surging, the transport industry has its back to the wall. Thousands of cab owners have surrendered their permits and hundreds of private bus operators have cut operations by almost half since it is no longer economically viable to run a full fleet.
- With cases falling, state may reduce daily testing target
Since fresh Covid-19 cases have been steadily declining and the test positivity rate has been below 0.5% for some time now, Karnataka is likely to reduce its daily testing target. Currently, the government has mandated 1.5 lakh tests a day, but only about 1.2 lakh are conducted.
- 60% of students in Kerala still do not have Covid antibodies, says study
Even as schools in Kerala are set to reopen next month, a seroprevalence study conducted by the state health department has found that about 60% of the students still do not have antibodies against the Covid-19.
- India Sees Lowest Daily COVID-19 Cases (14,313) Since Early March
India saw the lowest daily rise in Covid cases since early March as 14,313 fresh infections were logged in the last 24 hours. 181 coronavirus patients died since yesterday, shows the government data.
- Vaccine gender gap improves but Maha, Delhi and others lag
The gender gap in Covid vaccination has disappeared in 11 Indian states, but it is sharp in most others, including those with a higher human development index such as Maharashtra, Delhi and Goa.
- WHO advisory group recommends COVID-19 booster shot for immunocompromised people
People with weaker immune systems should receive an additional shot of approved COVID-19 vaccines, an advisory group to the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday.
- Dozen Tamil Nadu districts report increase in new Covid infections
A dozen districts in Tamil Nadu reported an increase in new cases over the last 24 hours on Monday when the state reported a drop to 1,303 fresh cases compared to 1,329 on Sunday.
- India’s total vaccination coverage crosses 95.80 crore doses
The total COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in the country crossed 95.82 crore on Monday as 59 lakh more jabs were given during the day, the Union Health Ministry said. The daily vaccination tally for Monday is expected to increase with the compilation of the final reports for the day by late night, the ministry said.
- AstraZeneca says drug helps cut risk of severe COVID
Drugmaker AstraZeneca said that its COVID-19 antibodies’ cocktail has helped cut the risk of severe disease or deaths in a late-stage study.